UNL Procurement Services pursues the promotion, development and procurement of environmentally preferred goods and services whenever possible. Procurement Services will work with departments, employees, contractors and vendors alike to seek out and provide resources and information that will enable our customers to make informed purchasing decisions, while promoting environmental stewardship.
UNL Procurement Services is committed to buying more environmentally preferable goods and services as long as they meet our performance needs and they are available within a reasonable period of time at a reasonable cost. By including environmental considerations in our procurement decisions, along with our traditional concerns with price, performance and availability, we will remain fiscally responsible while promoting products and services that have a reduced effect on human health and the environment.
UNL’s “Green Purchasing” strategy is to develop policies consistent with the following:
- Minimize the consumption of natural resources by reviewing current and proposed future usage and evaluating the pros and cons of alternatives.
- Seek alternatives to products and processes that are detrimental to the environment by using more “environmentally friendly” products and processes.
- Minimize waste, including any packaging, waste produced by the product (or service) in questions, and waste generated by the eventual disposal of the product.
- Maximize the reuse and recycling of materials.
- Stimulate demand for “environmentally friendly” products by letting manufacturers and suppliers know the environmental performance we are looking for in products.