The Purchasing Guide helps university faculty and staff determine the best method to procure goods or services. Purchase guidelines for unique categories such as employee household relocations, food, and construction services are also included.
How Do I Purchase at the University?
There are 4 ways to purchase goods and services at the university:
- Purchase Orders can be created in eSHOP or SAP. Use the interactive Purchasing Decision Tree to help you decide which method to use to create a Purchase Order.
- Prime suppliers should receive first consideration for purchase.
Dollar Thresholds Effective July 1st, 2018
|Dollar Amount||Who Can Make the Purchase|
|$0 - $4,999||
|$5,000 - $9,999*||
|$10,000* - $149,999||
|$150,000 and greater||A PO in this dollar range is the result of a formal bidding process|
Note: Catalog software purchased are allowable. Contact IT Procurement for all other software requests at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Purchase Order Restrictions
The following items should not be purchased with university funds:
- Alcoholic beverages or controlled substances
- Flowers, holiday decorations, or personal objects (such as facial tissue, greeting cards, invitations, paper cups or plates, pictures, radios, coffee pots, heaters, refrigerators, microwave ovens, art objects, etc.)
- Food items, except for laboratory research or teaching projects
- Gifts, donations, or contributions to individuals or organizations
A formal bid is required for all purchases $150,000 or greater per Board of Regents Policy (Section RP-6.2.6 (a)). Formal bidding, subject to Board of Regents Policy (Section RP-6.2.6 (e)) shall not be required for the following types of purchases which include, but are not limited to:
- Unique or non-competitive articles or services
- public utility services
- telephone services
- specially designed business, research or scientific equipment and related software
- Contracts for professional services
- Purchases necessary in emergency situations
- Maintenance or servicing of equipment with the manufacturer or manufacturer's authorized service agent
- Purchases from:
- any purchasing cooperative
- U.S. government or any agency thereof
- State of Nebraska or any political subdivision
- any governmental or public entity created by an inter-local agreement
- any private or public postsecondary educational institution
Please allow additional approval time for formal bids over $400,000. Purchases over $400,000 will require the Board of Regents approval.
Contact the Sourcing Specialist assigned to the commodity you are considering for purchase by referencing Commodities & Prime Suppliers.
Purchases requiring the use of a contract is covered under Contracts.
Unique Purchase Guidelines
Contact the Director of Procurement Services for emergency P-card purchases over $5,000.
Outside regular university working hours the department should:
- Fully document the purchase
- Present documentation to Procurement Services as soon as possible
- The university will only reimburse employees for moving expenses if approved by an appropriate administrative officer.
- Authorization by the hiring department is required to reimburse new professional staff and current employees.
- For guidelines regarding moving expense reimbursements, please see the Travel Services Employee Moving Expense page.
Instructions for Obtaining Household Moving Estimates
- Begin the process as soon as possible.
- Complete the Relocation Order Form:
- Provide origination location and contact information of the person moving.
- Provide the department name, contact person, address, email, and phone number.
- This form serves as a not-to-exceed estimate. Estimate should be returned to the person moving and to the department for approval.
- Email the completed Relocation Order Form to the company. The company will contact the person moving, usually within 48 hours.
- Once approved, the department will create a PO in eSHOP which will automatically be sent to the moving company to formalize the move.
- Once the move is complete, process the invoice for payment against the PO. If storage or multiple deliveries were necessary, multiple invoices may need to be submitted.
- University departments are to use these contracts when the estimated costs are less than $25,000.
- University P-card cannot be used to pay for household moving services.
- Visit the Travel Services Employee Moving Expense page for additional information regarding qualifying expenses for relocations.
For assistance with household relocation, contact these Sourcing Specialists.
Household Moving Services Prime Suppliers
The University of Nebraska-Lincoln has established agreements with the following moving service companies which provide discounts to the university.
Interstate Household Moves Supplier Contracts (one state to another)
Intrastate Household Moves Supplier Contracts (within Nebraska)
Firearms & Ammunitions
The purchase of weapons and ammunition are guided by the University Police Weapons Policy. Procurement of firearms and ammunition must be processed with a purchase order issued by Procurement Services with prior approval of the UNL Police Department.
For assistance with firearms & ammunitions, contact these Sourcing Specialists.
Contracts are established for use by University Dining Service for the following products: groceries, produce, dairy, and breads. If needed other categories of food where volume would indicate usage adequate to establish a prime vendor contract can be pursued. Departments can purchase food and related items by contacting the appropriate Sourcing Specialist. These uses are as follows:
- Laboratory research and teaching projects
- Documentation of research projects to be provided with purchase order
- This includes all food purchased for resale to students or the general public
- General ledger codes 571210 & 571211 must be used when processing these purchases
- Non-Travel Related Meals (This includes receptions when approved as official functions and conferences.)
- Visiting faculty, guest speakers, or consultants – meals and receptions
- Faculty and staff retreats or training sessions with external presenter(s)
- Recruiting new faculty and staff members – meals and receptions
- Advisory board meetings
- Student orientation or other student recognition events
- Student organizations – meals and receptions
- Meals and receptions with students in attendance
- Site or accreditation visits
- 4-H camps
- Grocery store purchases
- Purchases may be made from university approved vendors using a P-card or store charge card where available
- To begin this process, please contact the P-card office
- Non-Valid University Food Purchases – The following may NOT be purchased by staff and faculty using university funds:
- Catering from a grocery store or supermarket
- Food at a restaurant, coffee house, gas station, donut or bagel shop
- Non-Pepsi products
- Food purchases prohibited for the following university events:
- Employee recognitions
- Retirement receptions
- Department receptions and meetings with no external speaker
- Faculty or staff meeting with no external speaker
- Research grant receptions
For assistance with food purchases, contact these Sourcing Specialists.
Facilities Planning & Construction handles construction-related matters such as:
- New construction
For assistance with construction and remodeling projects, contact these Sourcing Specialists.
The Purchase of Laboratory Animals policy covers the procedures for ordering laboratory animals for teaching or research projects at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
For assistance with laboratory animal purchases, contact these Sourcing Specialists.
The purchase of goods and services from a sole source requires additional procedures and documentation. Please refer to the Sole Source Policy for further details.